Starting a new fitness program can be exciting. But please make sure you avoid these classic rookie mistakes.
1. Don’t exercise too hard.
We’ve all seen that person doing every exercise they’ve ever known. Don’t be that guy.
2. Don’t exercise for more than one hour.
An hour is the maximum time for your first time back. Heck that’s more than some people do in a month.
3. Don’t think you’re going to get in shape today. You’re not. No one has…ever.
4. Don’t set overly aggressive goals. Lose ten pounds in ten days? Doesn’t happen. And your friend that “did” it is probably still fat.
5. Don’t do celebrity workouts. celebrities are people, not fitness experts. some aren’t too bright.
6. Don’t do two-a-days. You know the old adage, “I’ll go ‘double’ tomorrow.” No you won’t, you barely went “single” today.
7. Don’t buy new equipment. You won’t use it. Build habits first, and then invest in equipment.
8. Don’t forget your towel. Nobody likes wiping others sweat. Yuck.
9. Don’t stare at people at the gym. It’s creepy. You know who you are.
10. Don’t stop to take the perfect selfie. It’s awkward for everyone.
11. Don’t hog the equipment. It’s not yours, you don’t own it. Sharing is caring.
12. Don’t starve yourself. Cleanses, ridiculously low calories, and fasting causes havoc.
13. Don’t weigh yourself after every workout. You can’t lose fat after a workout. You can lose water, but that’s not the same. Fat loss takes time.
14. Don’t workout when you’re sore. If it hurts too move, you’re doing it wrong. Rest.
15. Don’t wait. Start now, start small, and start making progress.
Best Selling Author, “Get Me Skinny”
FACT: The average American puts on between 8 to 10 lbs from Halloween to New Year’s Eve.
Why work hard all year only to give up at the end? This entire year we’ve been dedicated to the cause. People stop, only to restart in the New Year? They claim to want to enjoy the holidays without worrying about health. That’s exactly the wrong attitude. When you give in to peer-pressure, your goals are put on hold. Don’t give up on yourself, you deserve better.
“We’ll I tried… there’s always next year.”
“It’s too cold to workout.”
“I want to enjoy the holidays.”
“I already worked hard all year, now it’s time to relax.”
You’ve been down that road. You know it leads nowhere. You deserve better. If you dedicate yourself during this time, commit to your workouts, commit to your nutrition, and just commit. You can drop 8-10 lbs during this time. You will start next year ON FIRE! This is the hardest time for health, but if you can accomplish progress during this time, you’ll be unstoppable in the New Year. But more importantly, you will accomplish your goal. Workouts are tough, discipline is hard, but feeling great is priceless.
Special Bonus: 6 Essential Holiday Survival Tips
It’s time to get in the greatest shape of your life. Let’s make a commitment to each other. Let’s lead the march towards great health. Fitness is wonderful and it is meant to be shared by all.
NASM Master Trainer CPT, WLS, CES, SFS, WFS, BCS
Best Selling Author, “Get Me Skinny.”